The PAT-L is the newest member of the VIAVI PAT family of miniature process spectrometers. Its compact design and high performance make it ideal for use in industrial processes that require continuous monitoring. The NIR transmission design permits analysis of aqueous and nonaqueous liquids. The PAT-L is available in multiple configurations, specified on order, with a choice of probe material, optical path length, immersion depth, and process flange. As a member of the MicroNIR product family, it enables moving directly to production chemometric models and processes developed elsewhere. The PAT-L integrates readily with process equipment of all types and sizes, with the performance and stability to support truly efficient – and scalable – manufacturing.
- All-in-one optical design for ease of installation and cleaning
- Continuous liquid process monitoring in vessels, tanks and pipelines
- Rapid acquisition time for real-time reaction monitoring and high flow liquid streams
- Wide range of transmission path lengths for organic solvents and aqueous solutions
- Full integration of light source and light pipe eliminates fiber optics
- Broadly configurable to meet the needs of most processes
- Optional cooling jacket for high temperature environments
- USB-powered via hardwired cable
- Includes MicroNIR Pro software, a complete data acquisition and chemometric modeling package
- API synthesis
- Solvent moisture content
- Biofermentation nutrition monitoring
Polymerization Process Monitoring
- Polyol hydroxyl number
- Polyurethane and polyisocyanate condensation
Oil & Gas
- Octane number
- Lubricant properties
- Fuel identification
- Semiconductor cleaning fluids
- Reaction monitoring
- Detergents, paints and coatings
The MicroNIR PAT-L immersion spectrometer is based on the MicroNIR PAT-U process spectrometer, with design adaptations that include:
- Full integration into a fixed gap immersion probe
- High-efficiency light pipe design
- Inert gas backfill eliminates water vapor interference and condensation
- Hardwired USB cable for reliability
- Optional removable cooling jacket
The PAT-L is a fully integrated spectrometer-probe. The spectrometer section is rated IP65/IP67 and the immersion probe section is rated at up to 250 bar. Optical specifications are identical to the MicroNIR PAT-U and may be found on the PAT-U Data Sheet. The cooling jacket, with hose barb connections, allows coolant to circulate and maintain the spectrometer within its operating temperature range while the probe is in contact with hot fluids or in high ambient temperatures. Maximum working temperatures depend on the probe length and material and the coolant used. The MicroNIR internal temperature operating range is 0 to 50°C. The PAT-L immersion probe section is based on the Hellma Excalibur HD FPT 26, a well-proven, heavy-duty industrial probe equipment.
Like all MicroNIR instruments, the PAT-Lx includes the VIAVI MicroNIR Pro software suite with features for data acquisition, calibration and method development, user management, and real-time prediction. MicroNIR Pro software supports instrument qualification (IQ/OQ) per EP 2.2.40 and USP 1119/1856 test criteria and software tools to meet rigorous Title 21 CFR Part 11 compliance. An enhanced OPC interface is optionally available for integration with process control systems.
Mounting and Process Integration
The MicroNIR PAT-L has been designed for maximum flexibility to meet the diverse requirements of process integration. A variety of flange mounts and probe lengths are available. Probe body materials include 316L stainless steel and Hastelloy C22. Transmission gaps range from 2 mm (for aqueous liquids) to 3, 4, 5 and 10 mm (for polymers and petrochemicals).
The MicroNIR PAT-L can be mounted to standard sanitary flanges using a collet assembly and tri clover clamp, or via flange if so equipped. Installation in hazardous locations requires trained and/or certified personnel and must conform to local regulations.